If you have a limited amount of spending money to put together your summer wardrobe, then creating a capsule wardrobe is a very good idea. This is a fairly small collection of clothes that all work together, and can be dressed up or down to be worn on pretty much any occasion. The idea is finding clothes of quality, and not buying in bulk just because you can. Many people have big wardrobes that are very unorganised, made up of clothes that have simply built up over the years. The point of putting together a capsule wardrobe is to only buy clothes you LOVE, and that you look great in. Everything should go with everything, Ideally. Let’s take a look at how you can do it:
First of all, find out what kinds of clothes suit your shape. You could be a pear, upside down triangle, rectangle, hourglass, or apple. There are a few other body types too, but those are the main kinds. You can find many guides online that will help you to determine the shape of your body, and many sites that will advise you on the clothes to suit it. However, remember that it’s also about clothes that you feel comfortable in and love, so if something isn’t supposed to ‘suit you’, don’t worry.
Find out which colours suit you going by the colour of your eyes, hair, and skin. Some colours will wash you out, but it’s up to you to decide which you like best. If you stick to a certain theme, then selecting items for your capsule wardrobe becomes easier as you know everything will interchange well.
Just because something is said to flatter your figure or look good with your skin tone, doesn’t mean you have to buy it. You must really like the items you’re buying, otherwise you won’t get the use out of them. Take some time to figure out your style. Are you girly? Fun? Edgy? Bohemian? Perhaps you’re a mix? Whatever you are, make sure your clothes tell others a bit about you.
To help you, here are a list of items that work in nearly all capsule wardrobe situations:
- A day dress that you find comfy and casual. You’ll look like you made an effort, even if you didn’t!
- A couple of plain t-shirts. Ideally, 3 different shades will work well.
- A nice top you can wear to meals, parties, and other special occasions.
- A fitted white shirt for a cool weekend look or even for work.
- A classic black blazer will work well for work or for a night out where you want to look smart.
- A skirt that’s suitable for work and worn out in the evenings.
- A pair of jogging bottoms for exercising – pair with one of your plain t-shirts.
- Jeans. All women need a good pair of jeans. Make sure you choose a pair that suit you, don’t simply go for passing trends like holes and rips.
- A pair of tailored trousers for work or evening.
- A pair of pretty trainers to be worn to the gym or casually in the day. Find yours at Get The Label.
- A pair of ballet flat shoes.
Feel free to add other items to your wardrobe, but remember that it’s supposed to be capsule. Have fun shopping!